Gentry County Recorder of Deeds

Janet Parsons, Recorder of Deeds

OFFICE HOURS: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
MARRIAGE LICENSE: Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
All state holidays are observed.

Gentry County Courthouse

Marriage License Requirements

Party One and Party Two

  • Must appear together, in person, to complete the application, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except holidays). The license may be issued at the time of application.
  • Be 18 years of age or over.
  • Present a valid government issued picture ID.
  • Bring payment of $46.00 (cash, check or money order) at the time of application.


  • Will be asked to affirm all information is true and correct to the best of your knowledge on the application and that you are free to marry under the laws of the state of Missouri. Your signature on the application is considered sworn affirmation.
  • Have the license given to the person performing the ceremony, before the wedding.
  • Have a ceremony performed within 30 days from the date of issuance in the State of Missouri. If the wedding date is more than 30 days from the application date, the couple must wait to pick up the license.
  • Not be related to each other through and including first cousins.
  • Provide, if previously married, the date their last marriage dissolved.

Party One and Party Two 15 through 17 years of age, the custodial parent or legal guardian must also come to give consent on the application. If the parents are divorced, the custodial parent must present the divorce decree showing proof of custody and a valid government issued picture ID. Under-age applicants must bring a certified copy of birth certificate.

NOTE: Any applicant under 15 years of age must bring an order from a circuit or associate circuit judge of the county in which the license is applied.

Persons solemnizing marriages

Section 451.100 RSMo. Marriages may be solemnized by any clergyman, either active or retired, who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state. Marriages may also be solemnized, without compensation, by any judge, including a municipal judge. Marriages may also be solemnized by a religious society, religious institution, or religious organization of this state, according to the regulations and customs of the society, institution or organization, when either party to the marriage to be solemnized is a member of such society, institution or organization.

Note: It is a misdemeanor for anyone to perform a marriage ceremony if a license is not presented prior to the ceremony (451.120 RSMo.) The marriage is invalid if the ceremony takes place before the license is picked up.

Return and Record of Marriage

  • The person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license to the Gentry County Recorder of Deeds office within 15 days of the ceremony.
  • The Recorder's office then provides the state with the marriage information, retains a copy for preservation and permanent record.
  • The original marriage license is mailed to the couple at the address provided.
  • The License used or not used, must be returned to our office.